Thursday, February 7, 2008

It is Official!

Well, it is official! Gracie has said her first "dirty word!" But of course she doesn't have a clue as to what it means. I was up getting her ready for school today. I had dressed her and I was in the kitchen picking up. Gracie was standing at the back windows looking out at the pool. She said, "Momma, it's snowing outside." I said, "no baby it's not snowing." She said, "yes it is, it's snowing." I said, "Gracie it's not snowing anymore." She said, "momma, it's shitty outside." I said, "what?" She said, "it's shitty outside." I said, "it's shady outside?" It wasn't sunny by anymeans this morning so I thought maybe that's what she was referring too. She said, "no, it's shitty outside." By that time I had walked over to her and was really trying to understand what she was saying. I said, "what are you talking about?" She said, "you say it." She was meaning she wanted me to say the word shitty instead of shady so she would know that I knew what she was talking about. Jimmy was still in bed so I brought her in the bedroom and woke him up and told him to listen to her. Of course he was too out of it to listen. She was telling him and then she would laugh a little bit. Then of course I had to be very stern with her. I threatened her of what would happen the next time she said it and of course I told her we don't say that. She had this innocent look on her face. It was one of those times where you just want to die laughing but it's really not funny!

Now I have to admit, the word "shit" may slip from me or Jimmy occasionally. We aren't perfect but we try really, really hard! But..... even if that word does slip, we don't use it in that context. I don't know where she would have heard it to use it in the "ty" context.... She's been out of the house a lot lately without me, so she could have picked it up anywhere...


As for next time... she will not be laughing the next time she says it!


Here is a good picture of the three of us. This was taken at moms house on my birthday weekend.


1 comment:

Allison, Danny and Bentley said...

I certainly didn't teach her to say that~